While religion in Japan predominantly based around the various sects of Shintoism and Buddhism, it is a country that is highly tolerant of other religions. Outside of the classic Japanese beliefs the most are followers of the various Christianity orders, with about 3 million Christians in the country. Studies put the number of Muslims in Japan between 70,000 and 185,000, 90 per cent of which are foreigners and the majority of the remaining 10 per cent being Japanese nationals who have married foreign Muslims. There are believed to be around 2,000 Jewish people living in Japan after many of the country’s Jewish population moved to Israel following the nation’s creation after World War Two.
Worshiping around Nagoya
Below is a list of some of the places of worship around Nagoya of various denominations.
Nagoya All Saints International Church
Weekly opportunity for personal renewal, spiritual growth and soulful refreshment. All are welcome. Worship in English 17:00 every Sun., followed by fellowship. Located in Imaike nearest to Imaike station, exit 9.
- Where: 3 Chome-5-19 Imaike, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi-ken 464-0850 ( map )
- Website: nagoyaallsaintsinternationalchurch.com
Nagoya Union Church
Join with Christians from many countries for worship & fellowship in English. Bible studies, small groups and Sunday school also available.
Nagoya Orthodox Church, Holy Theophany Church
Every Sunday, around 30 Christians gather and share Holy Communion.
All Nations Fellowship
All Nations Fellowship is a bilingual church for people of all ages and from all kinds of backgrounds. They value strong community, Christ-centered teaching and want to bring God’s love to the people of Japan and the world.
- Where: 1601 Fujisatochō, Meitō-ku, (map); Nakamura-ku, Taikō, 1 Chome−4 (map)
- Website: allnationsfellowship.net
Nagoya International Baptist Church
TNIBC are an Independent Fundamental Baptist church. They believe in the absolute authority of the Bible as the inspired Word of God for all doctrine and practice.
Nagoya was reportedly the first place of worship for Muslims in Japan. Nagoya Mosque hosts Friday Prayers and is open for five-time prayers
Nagoya Port Mosque
Open for five time prayers every Saturday with a special speech and dinner after Isha Prayer. Children’s Arabic lessons on Saturdays
- Where: 33-3 Zennancho, Minato Ward (map)
- Contact: 052-384-2424
Jewish Community of Japan
There is no synagogue in Nagoya, however the Jewish Community of Japan can be found here.
For a fuller list of Nagoya’s places of worship, head to the excellent Nagoya International Center’s website here.