Late autumn and winter in Japan is orange season, and people go nuts for them. When I first came to Japan they had this amazing orange chu-hai available that has basically ruined orange chu-hai for me forever. It was like an orange crush that made you more handsome and charming! Nothing has matched it since, with the possible exception of real oranges.
In winter and late fall you can buy bags of what we in the west call Satsuma Oranges, the most rebellious of all oranges. Satsuma Oranges, called mikan here in Japan were first grown in modern Satsuma prefecture. They are small, seedless oranges that peel easily and are incredibly sweet.
The harvest season in Aichi and the surrounding area begins in October and run through to December. But with October still warm, and December getting cold; November is the time to go out and pick them yourself. Orange picking is “experience” tourism with tasty results; why not take your family out and try this fun and healthy activity this month?
You can generally pick and eat as many as you like, and are given a pre-packaged bag to take home with you when you are done, and the hours vary by location during the season. The actual mikan picking generally does not require a reservation, but some of these farms also offer BBQ sets along with the picking experience and for that you will need to make a reservation. For more details about the farms see their website, or the original article on the NIC website.
Mt Togoku Fruits Park in Nagoya
- 2110 Togoku, Kamishidami, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture 463-0001, Japan
- www.fruitpark.org (Japanese) | 052-736-3344
Gamagori Orange Park 蒲郡オレンジパーク Orange Orchard
- Adults 1115 Yen, children 1050 Yen, pre-schoolers 525 Yen.
- Gamagori City, Seida-cho, Ogurimi1-93 蒲郡市清田町小栗見1-93
- Website | 0533-68-2321
Joyful Farm U-no-ike ジョイフルファーム鵜の池 Orange Orchard
- Adults 1100 Yen, children 650 Yen, pre-schoolers 450 Yen.
- Chita Gun, Mihama-cho, Kaminoma aza-nakashinden 10 知多郡美浜町大字上野間字中新田10
- Website | 0569-87-6069
- Free pick up service from (Meitetsu) Kaminoma上野間 Station if call ahead in advance (in Japanese!)
Utsumi Fruits Mura (Tanakaen) 内海フルーツ村 田中農園 Orange Orchard
- Adults 1100 Yen, children 650 Yen, pre-schoolers 450 Yen
- Minamichita-cho, Utsumi, Okusuzugatani 70南知多町内海字奥鈴ケ谷70
- Website |0569-62-2430
- Free pick up service from (Meitetsu) Utsumi Station if call ahead in advance (in Japanese!)
Suzugatanien 鈴ケ谷園 Orange Orchard
- Adults 1100 Yen, children 650 Yen, pre-schoolers 450 Yen. You can also download and print out a discount coupon from the Minami Chita Tourist Association website (http://bit.ly/suzumikan). It is in Japanese, but it offers a lot of information as well!
- Minamichita-cho, Oaza-utsumi, Aza-oku-suzugatani 70-18 南知多町大字内海字奥鈴ケ谷70−18
- Website | 0569-62-1497
- Free pick up service from (Meitetsu) Utsumi Station if you call ahead in advance (in Japanese!)